CLSA was founded in 1986 by Jim Walker and Gary Coull, two former journalists who understood the value of high-quality information. True pioneers in the development of the Asian securities industry, over 20 years they built what is today Asia’s leading brokerage and investment group.
How did it start?
- 1986 - CLSA Group was founded by Jim Walker as Winfull Laing & Cruickshank Securities, a 50-50 JV between the Woo Hon Fai family and Alexander Laing & Cruickshank
- 1987 - Credit Lyonnais SA acquired Alexander Laing & Cruickshank
- 1988 - Winfull Laing & Cruickshank Securities was renamed CL-Winfull Laing & Cruickshank Securities and later CL Alexander Laing & Cruickshank (HK)
- 1989 - CLSA Group took over Credit Lyonnais SA's Asian stock-broking arm, CL Astaire Asia
- 1989 - CL Alexander Laing & Cruickshank (HK) was renamed Credit Lyonnais Securities (Asia)
- 1990 - CLSA Group became a wholly owned subsidiary of Credit Lyonnais SA
- 2003 - Crédit Agricole purchases Credit Lyonnais
- 2012 - CITIC Securities purchases a 19.9% stake in CLSA from Crédit Agricole
- 2013 - CITIC Securities acquires remaining 80.1% of CLSA from Crédit Agricole to become the majority shareholder of CLSA